Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Art of Giving Art


Last year, at the 11th hour, Penn told me about the Papergirl Vancouver project. The idea behind it is that artists from all over submit their work, which then hangs in a show for a week at the Roundhouse Community & Arts Centre in Vancouver. At the end of the week, the work is taken down, rolled up and distributed by bicycle to members of the unsuspecting public. It's the Art of Giving Art.  Even though time was running shot, I managed to submit my work and I was also invited to speak at the opening of the gallery show.

This year, I decided I wanted to support the project, so I've been working hard, mainly behind the scenes, revamping the blog and creating HTML code, writing press releases, artist calls, blog posts and engaging in social media. I also did a radio interview with another team member, helped out with a community workshop and distributed posters and postcards promoting the project.
It's been busy! 

The deadline for art submissions is fast approaching-it's July 18th. If you're interested in getting your art out there, this is the perfect opportunity! Not only will your art be hung in the beautiful Roundhouse for a week, it will then be delivered directly into the hands of the public on July 28th! Last year, as a result of participating in Papergirl Vancouver, four of the artists received art commissions!

If you're interested in submitting your work, all the information can be found on the Papergirl blog. Also, please note that while the movement is called PaperGIRL, guys are most welcome too! 

Penn has posted about her submission for this year here. I am still deciding on what I'm submitting. My posts about last year's event are here

The opening of the show is on Tuesday, July 24th at 7 pm at the Roundhouse Exhibition Hall, located at 131 Roundhouse Mews, Vancouver, BC.
Everyone is welcome!

No comments: